Friday, November 21, 2008

‘Scary hallucinations forced me to sober up’ (Daily Nation 19/11/08)



A healthy looking Paul Ndung’u is now focused on what he can gain from remaining sober after a past severely damaged by his dependence on drink and drugs. Photo/CHRIS OMOLLO

By MILLICENT MWOLOLO Posted Tuesday, November 18 2008 at 15:44

“I lost my family because I loved alcohol and drugs more than I did my wife and kids. I cannot blame anyone but myself for that, but I am happy because now I am trying to fit back into society.

It is the biggest challenge any recovering addict can face, so I don’t really blame those sceptics who will forever view me as a drunkard – the life I led for so many years left my integrity completely in tatters.

But I no longer expect other people to understand me like I did back when I stole to get money to support my addiction. Instead, I am trying to understand them.

My long story goes back to 1983. As a Form Five student in Kiambu High School, I would be sent by other boys to buy alcohol and bhang (marijuana) for them.

Read more

No comments: